A Trip to the ER

The last time I wrote something was a couple of weeks ago. It has been busy and just a strange couple of weeks. Last weekend I had a major scare. For about four days I had been having pain on and off in my left breast. It did not feel like it was inside my chest, so I didn’t really think it was something serious. I thought it would go away on its own, but after four days of dealing with the pain, I got tired of it.

I called the doctor on what would be known as day five. Unfortunately my doctor was on vacation until the next week. I described my symptoms and waited as the woman on the phone conferred with the on call nurse. When she came back on the line she said most likely there was nothing they could do for me on their end and from the description of my symptoms they would feel better if I went to the hospital because it sounded cardiac related. Cue adrenaline and fear.

For a few moments I took a few deep breaths before calling my mother up at work to let her know what was going on. She ended up leaving work and coming with me to the hospital to get checked out.

I was immediately taken to a room and told to take off my shirt and bra. I think I was so worried about what might be wrong with me that I didn’t really think about how embarrassing it would be to be half naked in front of a bunch of people, especially at the weight I am, but I was oddly disconnected from that as I got into my hospital gown. I didn’t even think about the fact that I hadn’t shaved my legs in a while, at least not until they had to stick little pads on my ankles. Cue more embarrassment while I apologized for my unshaven legs. I don’t think they really thought much about it.

They started an IV and asked a bunch of questions. Many questions I had to answer over and over again, which was a bit annoying, but I understand. They did a bunch of tests on my blood. All came back clean except one. The doctor said they were concerned enough with it that I would need to get a CT Scan to check for blood clots. I was back to being nervous and scared again as I was taken to get a CT.

Twenty minutes later I learned I was okay and there were no blood clots. I had what was called Costochondritis. It apparently mimics a heart attack which is why my symptoms were similar. I was put on a couple of medications, one for inflammation and the other for pain. I am back to normal with no more pain. Still, it’s weird that something like that came out of the blue. I’ve never had hormones that acted funky to cause something like this before. And I had never heard of it until that day. But, thank you God for keeping me happy and healthy. I think I might be ready to start merging over to a healthier life-style. Need to be heart conscious now after such a scare.


One thought on “A Trip to the ER

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s